Sunday, September 28, 2014

Self-Directed Learning

In my last post about our self-directed learning project I shared some of the project ideas students are exploring:

- learning how to sculpt/ researching  
   techniques/ maybe display at town    
   library or sell and donate money to a 
   charity

- learn the parts of a computer/take apart 
   a computer/ IMovie to document 
   process

- research recycling and energy 
   conservation/ create an informational 
   stop motion animation movie about it 
   with Lego Animator

- learn how to sew on sewing machine, learn how to use patterns, document learning in pictures

This past week, we were lucky enough to get into the computer lab to get the ball rolling. Students were motivated and focused. It was amazing!







Students are learning how to research their topic and are taking two column notes: main idea/details. Also, in their spirals, students are writing reflections about the process. This week, I have a surprise for my students. They will each have their own blog on Kidblog. This will raise the stakes for the kids since now their work will be seen by the world! I am hoping to share my students' work with my Twitter PLN  and Facebook friends and get some immediate feedback for students. Please read their blogs and leave positive comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment