Tuesday, May 14, 2013

To Diagram or Not to Diagram?

I pose this question and hope people will comment. To diagram sentences or not to diagram sentences?

When I went to school, we diagrammed sentences. It was one of the few 
things in school I was really good at doing. I understand my learning profile now and understand that it was that way because I am extremely visual. This visual representation of sentence structure and parts of speech clicked for me. 

While I was skimming a website the other day, I saw a few worksheets scaffolding diagramming sentences. Super Teacher Worksheets is a great site by the way. These sheets inspired me and today I began teaching this to my fifth grade students. I wonder whether this will be the tool that makes parts of speech click and stick for my students.

Old fashioned? Maybe. A visual representation of sentence structure? Definitely. Putting rigor back into the curriculum. I think so. 

To diagram or not to diagram?

No comments:

Post a Comment