Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Bird Theme for Next Year

I have always loved birds and have had owls as a theme in my classroom for the past two years. I love many different kinds of birds though.

The decision was made today, that next year my classroom theme will be birds, all kinds of birds! Love it! Wading birds like majestic herons, backyard birds, birds of prey, cute waddling penguins, so many birds!

I was especially inspired by some beautiful paintings that I bought today in Rockport, MA. I love bright colors on my classroom walls and these are the brightest, most fun paintings I have seen of birds in a long time. Matted, but not framed, these were very affordable at only $8.00 each. Everyone knows teachers spend a lot of their own money on their classrooms, but this is a fun, aesthetically pleasing purchase that is for me just as much as it is for the kids.

Just remembered, I have 3 years worth of Birds and Blooms magazine issues with vivid photographs that I will use as well. Plus, I have numerous pictures that I took last spring of the swan babies that were across the street from where I live. Great close ups. Who knows what birds I will see in Hawaii!

My next job will be to find great figures of speech and inspirational phrases involving birds. "Birds of a feather" may be my classroom door idea?!?! The possibilities are endless. More bird theme ideas to come.

Pinterest Update: After searching Birds Classroom Theme, I am convinced more than ever that this theme is perfect!

1. Possibility of incorporating Angry Birds paraphernalia is fun!
2. Tweeting idea that I have been trying to incorporate this year. Like Twitter, but on a door or bulletin board in the classroom. Kids tweet about what they learned. Great for practicing summarizing of a lesson, main ideas, etc.
3. Birds of a feather idea and also flock or nest sayings for door with kids pic on it.

1 comment:

  1. I love this theme idea - 'flocks' as working groups, ostriches with their heads in the sand, Escher's birds/fish, Darwin, Audubon, tons! Love it!

    ReplyDelete