Wednesday, July 30, 2014

R.I.P. Teacher Desk

This week, I visited my classroom for a short bit to empty my desk so that the custodian can move it out of my room. I have been thinking about doing this for a while, but some helpful teachers on Twitter helped me successfully make the paradigm shift that was necessary.

As I started emptying the drawers, I began to panic a little. Where will I put all my supplies, files, and other materials that have always been in my desk? I quickly realized that communal supplies means I will add my markers, pens, etc. to the class supply. I have a few file containers/crates for the few files I still have. The past few years I have mostly used online resources and have minimal teacher files. The panic subsided and I became very excited for the change. It was a load off my back. I really don't need this monstrous, archaic piece of furniture.

I already have an area in the front of the room for my mini lesson chart pads and materials. I ordered these cool organizers that hang from the whiteboard tray, and I have a pencil pouch in one with my dry erase and chart markers. I also use these trays to organize assignments for the week. No need for a desk!

No desk means more room for students to work, which is the main reason I am doing this. Also, if I expect the students to be on board with not having their own desks, I should model that it isn't necessary. 

Teachers I have corresponded with on Twitter say they got rid of their desks and never looked back. They love it! First step for transforming my classroom is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment