Sunday, June 2, 2013

IPhone Camera: Uses in Classroom

 
I don't think it is officially considered an iPhone app., but the camera on my iPhone has helped in my teaching in many ways. The obvious way that I use the camera is to take pictures of any fun events or learning activities/science investigations, etc. I compile the pics at the end of the year and create a Photo Story to be played at Open House in May. In addition, the parents who work on the fifth grade yearbook every year sometimes use one or two of my pics. We also have a fifth grade Weebly site, and I post pictures there as well to share with parents throughout the year.

In April of this year, I attended the Blue Ribbon Conference that is hosted in our district, Reading Public Schools. One of the keynote speakers was Dan Meyer.  He talked about an Educational Technology Manifesto: capture perplexity, share perplexity, resolve perplexity. 

Meyer shared how he uses his iPhone to capture perplexity. As I go through my summer, I will capture any images that I think may be perplexing for my students. Cropping a picture is one way of doing this, so that only part of the story is being told. Another perplexing image could be a sign with grammatical errors that the class has to notice and fix. 

Now my camera is another tool for enhancing my curriculum!

No comments:

Post a Comment